Sunday, December 30, 2007

Chapter 10 Inlay Applique



Insertion Stitch Samples - woven strips of fabric were bonded to felt, cut into strips and rearranged in a different order to create some movement and interest. I have used a variety of threads in these two samples including, hand dyed pearl cotton, silk and wool. I also used glass beads for one of the stitches.

Insertion stitches were used in the following methods shown in the picture above
from the top down: twisted insertion stitch, laced insertion stitch, plaited insertion stitch, knotted insertion stitch and beaded insertion stitch.

I have to admit that I was not really taken with this technique until I finished the beaded stitch and then instantly fell in love with it. The beading added some additional excitement and enabled me to recognise the potential for these stitches in many different applications.

Mock Insertion Stitch - stamped green fabric was bonded to felt and cut into a cross shape. This was bonded to a dark red fabric. Pieces were 'mock' joined together by hand sewn cross stitch in silk thread in variegated light green colours.

No comments: