Friday, January 26, 2007

Colour Study 1 of Rock Wall


I created this colour study using water colour and Prisma colour pencils. I painted a paler wash of the desired colour onto water colour paper and overlaid this with pencil shading. I built the colour up with various shades of pencils in differenct colours.

I was amazed at the range of different colours and tones which appeared through careful study of the photographs. Previously when I have created embroidered pieces I have tried to translate the colours directly from the source to selecting the threads and chose colours in a random fashion as I created my peice. I found that by developing the colour study of the rock wall I examined the photograph more carefully for colour changes and noticed many more colours than I might otherwise have chosen.

I found this exercise very rewarding and valuable.


I will develop further colour studies using a water colour base overlaid with pastel and oil pastels.

1 comment:

Sian said...

The building up of layers with different media creates wonderful texture as well as colour.